Home‎ > ‎

Tradition Within Tradition

posted May 10, 2018, 7:47 PM by Latin Mass Society of Northeast Missouri
From time-to-time, flowers on the Altar during the Traditional Holy Mass are significant beyond their shear natural beauty. This past Sunday's Holy Mass at St. Rose was the first Sunday of May, the month of OUR BLESSED MOTHER. The floral arrangement consisted of ten roses and a single lily on each side of the Altar.

This symbolism dates back to 1422, the beginning of the Seraphic Rosary of the Franciscans.  The story is: “As a child, a pious young man (maybe named James) had been accustomed to adorning a beautiful statue of Mary with a crown of flowers (every day), which he had picked and woven himself. He later entered the Franciscan Order, but within the limits of a walled monastery, he was no longer able to continue this devotion. Distraught because of this, he decided to abandon the religious life and return to the world. 

Our Lady then appeared to him and convinced him not to leave the order. She told him that he should not be downcast because he was no longer permitted to adorn her statue, for she would teach him a way to give her honor which was much more pleasing and meritorious. She then asked that the novice say one Pater and ten Aves. The young friar began his prayers as instructed, and when he was deep in the middle of it, the novice master noticed him, and watched as an Angel wove a garland of fresh roses, inserting a golden lily after each tenth rose. When the novice's prayers were finished, the Angel crowned him with the garland. The novice master asked if the novice knew anything about the vision he'd just seen, and after it was explained to him, he told the rest of his brothers what he'd seen. Thereafter, the practice of reciting what became known as the 'Franciscan Crown' Rosary spread.” (info from: Fr. Donald Calloway (present day) and Fr. Luke Wadding (1588-1657)

Comments